Sarson Ka saag is a popular vegetable dish in the Punjabregion of India and Pakistan made from mustard leaves and spices. However, itis also popular in other neighboring states of Haryana and Rajasthan. Punjabis lovee this served with Makki ki roti(Cornmeal bread) – each is incomplete withoutother. Mustard Greens (Sarson leaves) 1 Bunch
|Mustard Greens| Chopped FenugreekLeaves ½ cup Finely grated Ginger 2 Tbsp. Finely chopped Green chilies 5 no. Finely chopped tomatoes ½ cup
Butter 1 Tbsp.
- Chop and clean all the greens. Wash really well, especiallythe mustard greens well to get rid of the mud or soil clinging to the stems.
- Combine mustard leaves, spinach, green chilies, andginger with 1½ cups of water in a pan and cook on medium flame till the greensget cooked.
- Squeeze out saag and Keep aside to cool. Keep the saag water aside.
- Blend the saag with tomatoes to a coarse paste in amixer. Keep aside.
- Add maize flour in it and mix it well. The maize flourhelps in making the saag smooth as well as thickening it and does imparts itsflavor to the saag.
- Now pour the greens puree in a deep pan. i used thepressure cooker as while simmering the saag, it bubbles and splutters. So becareful and use a deep pan.
- Add the reserved water to adjust the consistency ifnecessary.
- Add the salt and cook for 7 minutes in simmer, whilestirring continuously. or until well blended.
- Serve hot garnished with a dollop of white butter andcilantro.
- Serve the hot sarson Ka saag straight with makki di rotior Paratha and steamed rice.
- The best is to serve with makki di roti. Nothing beatsthis combination.