South Indian meal is incomplete without Smbhar. Though Ialready posted few Smbhar recipes, I want to post one more Smbhar recipe. Makedelicious Pumpkin Sambar using this simple recipe from My Madappalli.
Chopped RedPumpkins 2 cups
Chopped Green chilies 2 Nos
Tamarind gooseberry sized
Coriander leaves For decoration
Asafetida powder (Kayam) ½ Tsp.
- Pressure cook the dal, ½ of pumpkin cubes with turmeric powder andfew green chillies with 1½ cups of water until dal is soft for 2-3 whistles. Mashit gently with the back of a spoon and set aside.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and pureed the juicethrowing out the fiber.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the ingredients from "Toroast and grind " and fry until the lentils turn brown . Cool them to roomtemperature and grind to coarse powder.
- Add some chopped tomatoes,green chilies, ,tamarind juice, 2 tbsp of sambhar powder,salt to taste and 1 cup of water .
- Close the pan witha lid and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until its cooks well and leaves out nicearoma.
- Once it cooks well, Add the cooked dal and cubed pumpkinsto the mixture and bring it to a boil, and cook till the pumpkin pieces aresoft.v Finally check for salt and spices and add accordingly.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan and add the mustardseeds. Once they begin to splutter, add the dry red chillies and curry leaves.Fry well.
- Add this tempering to the pumpkin sambhar.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves. Serve hotwith steamed rice.